Summer Editorial

Interview Part 1: Christine Young of Young Frankk Jewelry

7.02.2015


We're thrilled to present our next interview with Richmond-based jewelry designer Christine Young of Young Frankk jewelry. As a graduate of Parsons School of Design for Illustration, Christine launched her jewelry line in 2012. We've carried Young Frankk jewelry early on and have always been in awe of the fresh collection Christine produced each season. Featuring clean lines and sculptural shapes, her collection mixes subtle minimalist pieces with simple statement making design that's easy to wear. The modern versatility yet timeless aesthetic of her designs make them a go-to jewelry for any ensemble. I always find myself reaching for one of her pieces. Our recent collaboration piece reflects the beautiful simplicity in her designs: a simple elegant everyday necklace

Young Frankk X Vuela Necklace

The Young Frankk line of jewelry has always been a shop fave.  How would you describe your design approach and creative process- from design, inspiration and the formation of each collection?
Thank you so much! Well, my design process always starts with a sketch. Sometimes I'll play off of a design idea or shape from a previous collection by reinterpreting it. Or I'll completely change the direction by experimenting with a new element whether its a new technique or material.

Your background is in art. How did you get started in jewelry design?
After art school, I really wanted a new creative outlet besides drawing or painting and jewelry seemed like the perfect way to work with my hands while learning a new skill and craft. I fell in love with jewelry making as it was new way to translate my line work onto metal. 


Your line has a cohesive modern minimalist aesthetic, yet each season's collection is fresh and distinctive. How has your designs changed or evolved?
That is my main goal with every new collection: to stay fresh and distinctive. I am motivated by straying away from obvious trends and so I challenge myself to be as creative or original as I can. I think with each collection its been a natural evolution of experimenting with something new, as a result something different is created.

Young Frankk New Collection
What's next for your collection or any new projects?
I do have some new projects in mind that I've been thinking about a lot for quite some time but I just need to find the time to finally work on them! But hopefully I will be coming out with them this summer. 


There are many accessories to complete an ensemble. What is your favorite thing about creating jewelry?
I love that jewelry can completely change the feeling or look of an outfit, it can go from casual to interesting even if it's a subtle earring or a bold statement necklace. 



I know it’s so hard to choose, but what are some of your favorite pieces from your collection?
My favorite pieces from the spring collection is the Archway Necklace for sure, something about it, I just really love. And my other necklace favorite is the Balance Necklace, I love that the chain goes thru the circle of the pendant. My favorite earrings are the Plate Studs and the Dot Ring Studs and then my favorite ring would be the Shield Ring. 


Running a business requires a lot of time and passion for what you do- on your down time, what are your other interests, passions or activities that you enjoy?
Definitely, my business is my number one passion and interest, I feel truly blessed and lucky I do what I enjoy so I do not take it for granted, I am so appreciative of all my customers and supporters such as you!

On my down time, I really like to go on Craigslist or to go thrift stores and buy things really cheap for the home and repurpose it with some paint and cleaning. I also do yoga for exercise, I love to go camping and canoeing but most of all, I love spending time and laughing with my family and the people that I love. 


Fun facts about you. Secret talents? Any irks and quirks you'd like to share? 
I can play the intro to K-Ci & Jojo's All my Life on the piano. I am a huge scary movie fan! I'm always in the mood to watch a good scary movie or thriller. I love rainy days, growing up in Washington State has made me appreciate nature and a good rainfall. I also really really love clouds, they are so beautiful. I love taking pictures of clouds especially at sunset when the colors are unreal! 



What is your personal style or aesthetic? 
My personal style is very laid back and minimal. The number one thing that dictates my style is comfort level, I must be comfortable! 

What are some of your favorite pieces and items you collect for you or your home?
I love collecting mirrors for the home, I especially love huge frameless mirrors to lean against walls or round mirrors. I just love how they instantly open up a small space and make it brighter. 

_______________________________________________

Thank you so much Christine for taking the time to share  your creative process and personal side! I really enjoyed getting to know you. And of course, this new collection is amazing and it's always so hard to choose from your designs. You're truly one inspiring lady that embraces the joys of life whether it's doing what you love or spending time with family and friends. 

Lookout for Part 2 of the interview with travel tips to Christine's town of Richmond, Virgina.

Shop Young Frankk Jewelry
Lookbook and personal images from Young Frankk

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Simply Vuela All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger